Big Idea for Parents
In today’s story, God tells Abraham to do something any parent would find unbelievably difficult, if not impossible: to place his only son on an altar and offer him as a sacrifice. Once again, God’s plans did not make sense to Abraham … but Abraham trusted God fully and was confident in God’s love and care for Abraham and his family. He did what God asked of Him, and God provided. Just before Abraham was about to kill his own Son, God sent a ram from the thicket to take Isaac’s place.
God desires to have our whole hearts and our full trust. Like Abraham, we can put our hope in Him, knowing that His plans are perfect. God’s ultimate plan has always been to rescue his people - not through the sacrifices of burnt offerings, but through the giving of His one and only Son. We can trust him fully, knowing that “he who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all … will graciously give us all things” (Romans 8:32)
Do you remember when your mom or dad first taught you how to jump into the pool or ride your bike without training wheels? Did they tell you what to do and then sit back and watch you try? Or did they stay with you, standing in the water with their arms out to catch you or keeping one hand on the seat of your bike as you slowly began to pedal? Doing new things can be very scary, especially when we know that we might get hurt by trying them. Because we know our moms and dads love us, we know we can trust them to keep us safe and protect us, even when we’re scared.
In today’s story, God asks Abraham to do something that is very scary. Abraham is afraid, but He trusts in God completely and does what God asks him to do. Read pgs. 62-68 to hear the whole story and to find out what God does to show Abraham how much he loves Him!
- If you were Abraham, do you think it would have been easy to follow God’s directions?
- If you were Isaac, how do you think you would have felt when you found out that you were going to be the sacrifice, instead of a lamb?
- Abraham didn’t understand why God was asking him to do such a hard thing, but he never doubted Him. Why do you think Abraham was able to trust in God completely? What other promise had God made to Abraham?
- How do you think Abraham and Isaac felt when God provided the ram?
- God wanted the whole world to know just how much he loved them, and so, like Abraham, he offered up a very special present, His own Son, Jesus. Who can you tell about that “Lamb of God” who takes away your sins?
Thank you for the story of Abraham and Isaac. Help us to be just like Abraham - to trust you completely, even when things seems scary. We know that you love us because you sent your only Son, Jesus, to die for us. Remind us of your love every day, and help us to share it with one another. Thank you for providing everything we need. In Jesus’ name we pray, Amen.